A debt exclusion is an increase in taxes for a specific period of time. In this case, it would be for 20 years. The debt exclusion differs from an override which while it is also an increase in taxes, has no end period. It becomes a permanent increase to the tax revenue.
Franklin has only approved one override (of 8 total offered to the voters) and has generally approved each debt exclusion although it has taken a couple of tries for some of the debt exclusions to pass. The more recent debt exclusions for the school buildings have all passed on the first try.
You can review the history of debt exclusions and override votes here:
This was compiled from the official Franklin records and confirmed with the Commonwealth of MA records.
Back to the high school proposal. Assuming it passes the MBSA on Weds, then the School Building Committee is scheduled to come before the Town Council on their agenda of Feb 1. The agenda discussion will be around the election date and the ballot question. The election date currently targeted is March 27.
Stay tuned here for developments on this story. Franklin stands to gain a $104.5 M high school building for only $47 M (our portion). This is a good deal. You can find additional information at the new website put together by the "Citizens for a new Franklin High" http://www.newfhs.com/
- Franklin, MA: School Committee - Agenda - Jan 24, 2012
- FPS: School Choice History 2003 - 2012
- FPS: English Language Learners
- Wadsworth Diary - Jan 22, 1892
- Wadsworth Diary - Jan 21, 1892
- New Report: Demystifying General Local Aid in Massachusetts
- MBTA Fare, Service Hearings Continue
- In the News - Rep Vallee, state aid, Dean presents
- Recycling Center Closure
- Wadsworth Diary - Jan 20, 1892
- The FHS Campaign Web Site is UP!
- In the News - Treesavers, NuStyle, Master Plan, Citizens, Green Day
- Parking Ban Activated
- eReader workshop slated at Franklin Library
- Wadsworth Diary - Jan 19, 1892
- Vera Meyer and the glass harmonica returns
- Town Council - 01/18/2012
- Live reporting - closing
- Live reporting - action items
- Live reporting - Town Council - 1/18/12
- In the News - Democrats, FSPA
- MassBudget's FY13 Budget Preview
- Wadsworth Diary - Jan 17, 1892
- Would you like to dream?
- Creation of a Citizen Committee
- "I just don’t see that as a reality"
- “I’d like to raise awareness"
- Parking Ban Activated
- "I have a dream"
- Campaign starting for a new Franklin High School
- Wadsworth Diary - Jan 16, 1892
- "70 percent of school systems have such charges"
- Did you get a Kindle?