Last week was going to be about the high school and it was in a couple of ways. We did get the update on the budget and construction schedule for the high school building project underway. We also heard about the girls soccer team as they won on Tuesday to advance to the State Championship on Friday which they also won! Nice job ladies. It takes great team work to win a championship and to go undefeated as well! Kudos all around!
High school building update:
Girls soccer championship game video highlights:
What is up this week? No School Committee or Town Council meeting. The Town Council closes out November with their annual tax rate hearing on Nov 28. I would guess the tax rate will go up again but by less than it did last year given the overall state of the economy and housing values. When residential housing values increase the rate goes down, when values go down the rate goes up. Just be cause the rate goes up does not mean Franklin can collect more money (aside the the automatic less than 2.5%), the tax levy is just spread over a lesser valuation which increases the rate.
I have written about this for each of the past several years. You can revisit the 2012 and 2011 rate hearing info here:
FY 2012 = http://www.franklinmatters.org/2011/11/fm-101-tax-rate-info.html
FY 2011 = http://www.franklinmatters.org/2010/12/fm-79-slidecast-tax-hearing-info-for-fy.html
Thanksgiving rolls around on Thursday. Let's pause to give thanks for all we have. I plan on getting my morning run in early and for a good cause. Feed The Need has organized a Turkey Trot 5K Family Fun Run Walk to start at 8:00 AM from the LDS Church, 91 Jordan Road. Registration can be done online or beginning at 7:00 AM Thursday morning. More information on the 5K can be found on the website here
This 5K will benefit the Franklin Food Pantry! We appreciate their efforts to help. I am thankful that Franklin is a caring and helpful community!
This writing is my public service effort for Franklin. I can use your help. How can you help, you ask?
If you have an interest in covering the Planning Board, Conservation Commission and or the Zoning Board of Appeals meetings in Franklin, please let me know.
And as always
- If you like this, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like this, please tell me
Without this feedback loop, I can not improve this service.
- FHS Girls Soccer - Championship game highlights (video)
- Reminder: Turkey Trot Family 5K Fun Run - Thanksgiving morning
- "The The Impotence of Proofreading," by TAYLOR MALI
- Free flu clinic - Tuesday - Nov 20
- In the News: vacant homes
New dorm scheduled to open in December
- MassBudget: MA Among States with Highest Income Inequality
- Pack 126: Annual Pancake Breakfast
- 2012 Annual St. John's Christmas Fair
- In the News: NationalGrid, all night party, Division 1
- Under budget and a gem!
- "substantial long-term consequences"
- Downtown Holiday Decorating Day-Sunday-9:00
- Franklin Library: Family Storytime and Craft, Nov 21
- Intercession Registration Open
- New Road Anti-Icing: Better for the Environment
- Live reporting - Question and Answer period
- Live reporting - High School Update
- Network With Franklin Downtown Partnership Members - Thursday, Nov 15
- Franklin gets on the AP Honor Roll
- MBTA Commuter Rail: Mobile Ticketing
- In the News: high school, holiday decorations, drug abuse, donation drive
- FAN BUS INFORMATION FOR GIRLS SOCCER STATE SEMI-FINAL GAME IN LYNN ON WEDNESDAY, 11/14/12
- Reminder: Tuesday events
- Dean College: Fall sports have winning season
- "it provides good information"