The candidates that are up for election will determine the tax rate you pay. (Yes, they'll set the rate at a Town Council meeting in December.) They'll also determine the budget and level of services we get to use or miss (because they were cut).
Let's get a decent turn out this time. Let's get more than 50% of the voters out to the Field House on Tuesday, Nov 8th. If we can turn out 90% for a high profile election, we can turn out more than 50% for something that directly affects Franklin.
Since you are reading this, you do think Franklin matters, spread the word to your neighbors and friends. Let's get a great turnout for our own local election.
Information on the election, the timeline, absentee ballot info, MDN candidate profiles, incumbent Town Council and School Committee attendance records are collected in one place for you to find
Sun - Oct 16
World Food Day is being celebrated Sunday. During your dinner, have a conversation about food and where it comes from.
- World Food Day - 2011
- Watery rain gardens
- "It isn't something you can do overnight"
- In the News - Aucoin
Sat - Oct 15
Did you get out to the Book Sale?
- Library book sale: today - 9:00 to 4:00
- In the News - Ranieri
- Route 2 Repairs Update, Detour Map
- Open House Walnut Hill Farm Plainville MA 10/15/2011 2-4
- Emergency Alert System (EAS) test - Nov 9
Fri - Oct 14
Alerts on upcoming events dominate the posts today
- Farmer's Market: noon to 6:00 PM
- In the News - Bartlett, casino bill, national park
- Help blind pedestrians while you drive
- Attention Downtown Franklin Businesses: Holiday Stroll coming up in Dec
- SNETT Trail Clean-Up Day
- Taste of the Region - Oct 25th
Thu - Oct 13
Head's up on the showing of "Race to Nowhere" - Tues, Oct 18th - tickets are free but you do need to reserve your ticket online.
- Library book sale: Sat 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- In the News - Pellegri, scrapbooking
- In the News - FHS cabaret, art center, distinguished
- Race to Nowhere
Weds - Oct 12
I followed the money to attend and reporting on the Finance Committee. It was their first meeting for the new fiscal year and first since the reduction from 11 to 9 members was voted in with the approved charter changes. You can't get this information elsewhere.
- Finance Committee - 10/11/11
- "I see growth and I see improvement"
- In the News - Norman, film
- Live reporting - FinCom - Action items and closing
- Live reporting - Finance Committee - 10/11/11
Tue - Oct 11
If you want more than the MDN candidate profile, the first of a series of candidates answering 3 questions is published here.
- Rich Aucoin answers 3 questions
- Franklin Citizens Rail Trail Committee - Meeting 10/11/11 - 7:30 PM
- In the News - DeBaggis, spaghetti, flu
- Race to Nowhere film screening in Franklin
- Reminder: Franklin Newcomers and Friends Club - Oct 12
Mon - Oct 10
Columbus Day, other than the holiday, but we caught up to an article by the Boston Globe West edition on the Town Council-School Committee issue over the teacher contract. The Globe actually had a reporter at the Town Council meeting where the School Committee failed to show up.